Discussions

Report: 3rd National Co-production Conference, 23rd April 2014

Added by samjordan

230414Alliance027.jpgOn April 23rd 2014 the Joint Improvement Team, the Scottish Co-production Network, the ALLIANCE, Skilled Workers, Skilled Citizens invited over 200 guests to to the 3rd National Co-production Conference in Scotland.

The event, held in Pollock Halls in Edinburgh, aimed to build upon the progress that co-production has made in the last year, as well as take the next steps in placing co-production at the forefront of how we work. 

We had a great day and were delighted that there were so many people looking to share their experiences and learn from each other. An introduction from Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing Alex Neil MSP and Professor Jim McGoldrick, Chair of the Joint Improvement Team partnership board kicked off a day of workshops, open space discussions and exhibits.

We hope you were able to come but if not we've started writing up all the of speeches, workshops and discussions that happened. This will be an continuously updated page and we'll be adding to it bit by bit over the next few days. 

You can visit the page here: http://coproductionscotland.org.uk/events-and-news/news/copro2014/

And don't forget to add your comments, thoughts and ideas by starting a discussion blog! If you have any images or videos you'd like added to the report, please email sam@scdc.org.uk.

Introducing creative practices

Added by Jinglis

Hi, amongst other things I'm studying Design for Services in Dundee. 

As part of this course I am currently exploring the question of how creative practices (especially drawing and modelling, but to a lesser extent music, storytelling or any other creative practice you can think of) can best be introduced when working with people who may be feel less than comfortable about it.

My observation from recent experience is that a majority of people feel comfortable enough with writing on sticky notes but, in contrast, it is only a minority that feel comfortable with drawing and/or modelling their ideas. Sir Ken Robinson might explain this by suggesting people have natural creativity educated out of them by our current system, so it is perhaps not surprising, but can anything be done about it given it might be important if you want to truly co-produce anything? I am also keeping an open mind about why and indeed whether trying to introduce these practices is a good thing. 

I would be interested to hear of any experiences that Network members have in this area. Have you also found it difficult to encourage some people to try more creative practices out? What did you try and what worked? I would also be interested to hear views on the value of getting over any barriers. What happened? For example did people become converts, did it enable anyone to join in who hadn't before, were the ideas developed better or were they implemented more enthusiastically? 

Thanks in advance

Jenni

Limited spaces left for co-production study visits!

Added by Olivia

As part of the 3rd National Co-production Conference later this month, we’re offering a series of study visits to participants to give them an opportunity to learn more about the co-productive work that is being carried out across the country by our colleagues in the public and voluntary sector.

We can now provide details of these study visits and a chance for you to sign up and gain excellent insights into the work of other organisations. We have five study visits to choose from in various places across Scotland. You can read a little about each organisation and see if the dates and times offered suit you here.

These study visits will run between 22nd April and 1st May and room on them will be extremely limited so get in touch soon! We ask that you reply with your interest by 16th April to give study visit hosts time to prepare.

To register your interest in a study visit please email sam.jordan@scdc.org.uk with:

• Your name
  • Your organisation
  • Your telephone number and email address
  • Any dietary or access requirements you may have

Once we have this information we will confirm your attendance and let you know further details of the visit.

We’d like to thank all of the people who volunteered their time for these visits and hope you will take advantage of this excellent opportunity!